Friday, March 25, 2011

sun dress


Does anyone remember those incredibly easy to make stretchy topped sundresses from the 70's? Well, I ran across some of this fabric on sale a little while back and this time there were some prints that called my name so I brought them home. I finally took the time to get out the sewing machine and the serger to finish the edges of the one and only seam! I mean this is a beginner's project with one straight seam and a hem. Or could be.


Of course I seldom can just let it go at that. This time I bought extra fabric to make straps from. I do not think there was ever a time since puberty when I really felt comfortable in the strapless look. However, I did not want just strips of hemmed fabric for straps, so straps meant getting out the tube turners. I decided against 'filling' them with cording or other padding but yet wanted abit of substance so...

For the dress I braided three tubes to give it some texture:



For the top I decided the batik look did not go well with braids and opted for a two strand twist instead:


Check back for more developments!

5 comments:

  1. I do remember those fabrics. They were terrific!

    Love your braided straps. Looks like you're all set for summer, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your dresses. They came out great and the material is beautiful that you used for both. Nice job on the straps and now I understand what you were describing. I would love to sew again. Did the fabric come like this so the top part is stretchy and the bottom straight or did you have to make the stretchy part and attach the bottom? Talent plus as always, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabric comes stretchy at the top. Which is why I like to serge the edges of the seam rather than just pink it or mess with some other finishing technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These seem simple to make and now I understand why you used your serger. Just have to make sure they fit around you when making one. You can tell the wheels are turning in my head. So pretty and fun for the warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen, thanks. Ideas for a variety of straps using the tubes came to mind but I like the braids too. This is one of the things from the 70's I enjoy having come back.

    Darlene, yes, the warm weather will be here soon enough. For now I am enjoying having open windows.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.