I was thinking just today how much I enjoy having all my projects out where I can just walk into a room and pick up where I left off. One room became a sewing/craft room and another the studio. Well the studio also takes up half the garage. Half the dining room table has art supplies spread out with the latest Zentangle on top. 'My chair' in the living room is strategically surrounded with crochet work and today I converted a quilt frame into a Sprang loom and set up at the other chair which already had a basket full of tatting supplies next to it.
So do my friends just not have hobbies? Maybe I should share some of mine. I love doing that. Or maybe their kids just moved farther away? That probably is it. Because I see my kids and grandkids every week and talk to them in between. If I would get with it and start texting I could have more contact but then when would I find time for my projects? No, I think I have just the perfect balance. And I still see their friends or stay in touch. My theory has always been "If you bake cookies, they will come". Well, some of them prefer my fudge.
So do I understand the empty nest syndrome? Sure. I loved those years when the kids were younger and we were all together laughing and teasing and sharing. But I haven't forgotten the slamming doors (girls) and the arguing (boys) and the hours sitting up worrying as they grew up and ventured out.
This time is great too though as I enjoy my freedom and get to honestly compliment my grandson's band knowing that I don't have to listen to them practice every week, or adore my granddaughter's look knowing I don't have to share a bathroom with her. And how blessed am I that they invented remote controls and dishwashers before my kids moved out? It isn't really an empty nest from where I sit. It just got roomier. Not all change is easy. But life is easier when you figure out how to appreciate what you have.
By the way, when I get the Sprang figured out I will post some photos.
This is the most beautiful that I have ever seen you write. From the heart and home. A good way to look at the empty nest, but in addition, the closeness of your family and space to enjoy your home and the draw of our family via Mom/Grandma's baked goods and food always available. How is it that all of this time has passed for all of us. Enjoy every moment as I know you do and the time to do what you enjoy. You have time to do those many projects and explore so much more all of the time.
ReplyDelete